Sunday, June 21, 2009

Books I've Read

So this is just going to be a running list of books that I've read. I hope to put them in some kind of order, and possibly a little blurb about what I thought of the book.

When I was at University of Virginia in 2006 for a summer program (SMDEP) a speaker said that you should read more. Well yeah, everybody has heard that. Then, he proceeded to say, yeah its hard to squeeze in time to read, so set a goal for yourself to just read one book a month. Easy enough. But just think, one book a month, twelve books in one year. Think of all those ideas in those twelve books. Those ideas shape you and your beliefs and your knowledge. Obviously this speaker said it in a more eloquent way, but it really stuck with me, the thought that books have such a profound effect on you and your life/ frame of mind.

Another thing I read, I'm having source memory problems, but I want to say it was from freakonomics. However, it was that you should read/expose yourself to opposing views of what you believe. So for instance say you are really liberal. You shouldn't seek out liberal authors, or read only liberal magazines, instead you should seek to read the opposite. Very important so you can balance your exposure to different viewpoints, and critically think about what you are reading/what you believe.

So here goes the list:


June 2009:
The Alchemist.
Paulo Coello.
This was a short read. Definitely good for a beach book. It reminded me of the book The Little Prince because it was such a neat simple story, yet it had some profound points to it.
I really learned from this book that you should "reach for the stars." It was an inspiring read.

The Tipping Point. Malcolm Gladwell.
I love Gladwell as an Author. I read Blink before this, and might have liked Blink a little better. I love the way that Gladwell writes. A criticism though is that it reminded me a lot of Blink, but I guess that could be a good thing. I like reading books with a psych background because that was my major, and it helps me keep up on all that I learned in school, and make me feel like I actually can use my degree, ha!

Freakonomics.
This was written a lot like Gladwell's books. I think that the book was good, but didnt exceed my expectations.


Previous to June 2009:

Eat, Pray, Love.
Secret Life of Bees
He's just not that into you.
Harry Potter Series.
Traveling Pants Series

Books from High School: (At least the ones I actually read & liked)
The Great Gatsby
Their Eyes were watching God
The Heart of Darkness
The Little Prince
Lord of the Flies
Shakespeare
  • Romeo and Juliet
  • A Midsummer Nights Dream
  • Othello
  • Macbeth
Scarlet Letter
Huckleberry Finn
To Kill a Mockingbird

No comments:

Post a Comment