Sunday, June 28, 2009

Grocery stores, a little history of shopping.

My little stint working at the deli taught me a lot about grocery stores, which got me to thinking, we spend a lot of time at grocery stores. Although I didnt enjoy working at the deli, read the posts to come, I think it was a good experience. I think the same thing for people who work at restaurants. You view your restaurant eating experience a lot different after you have worked at one.

I never really enjoyed grocery shopping until college. Before college, I dreaded it because I would have to walk up and down the aisles really bored, not allowed to buy the kind of cereal I wanted to get. Don't mention the times that I'd be sent to get something at the opposite end of the store, and then walk up and down the aisles looking for my Mom, ugh I hate feeling lost in stores!

I did like grocery shopping in college though. It was so nice my Junior/Senior year to go grocery shopping. I loved having the ability to plan out a delicious healthy meal, go buy the ingredients. I also loved buying whatever I wanted, going whatever pace I wanted, etc. And also, The Harris Teeter at Elon was brand new, and wonderful! Ah, I miss it! I remember being in the store and calling my Mom to ask her a question such as "Where do they keep the raisins" (seriously though, do you know?) or "How much fish should I buy to feed X number of people" I think some of those initial questions that I had were "rookie mistakes" and helped me be more independent. A little part of me also called and asked her those questions because either I was a little lonely, or wanted to make her feel like she was part of my life. Sometimes I regretted calling her because 1) she didn't give me a simple answer to my simple question 2) she would keep chatting and NOT HANG UP and 3) she wouldn't know the answer and kind of round about give me a long answer with lots of details what had nothing to do with the question I was actually asking....ugh.

Now that I'm back living at home, I'm back to hating grocery shopping again. (Sorry now for the "mom bitching" but I feel like this is therapeutic to get it off my chest)

I just don't understand why we don't have any food in our house. Our pantry and refridgerator are both full, but when I go to make something to eat, there is nothing! Its a phenomenon.

Some things that bug me know that I'm back at home/My OCD list for grocery shopping. (Makes me think, Hmm maybe this is another reason why I'm single, I hope my future significant other "gets" this.

Before you go grocery shopping:
  • Check your inventory at home to see what you have, what you need
  • Throw out old food
  • Clean up the fridge if it needs to be done
  • Clean up the kitchen if it needs to be done
  • make a LIST (especially if you have planned out your meals/recipes for the week, you can check the ingredients lists and make sure you have what you need to get, and make sure you have enough "staple items" for the recipe: olive oil, spices, etc)
While grocery shopping:
  • Stick to the list (it will save yourself time and money! I will allow myself 1 "splurge" item every once in a while, and I try to be reasonable about it, usually its something that is on sale, or a new product I want to try, or Real Simple Magazine)
  • Go in one direction (usually helps when you categorize your list according to the grocery store, and helps prevent lost children like me when I was younger!)
Once you get home:
  • bring everything in first
  • take everything out of the bags
  • put away items NEATLY and where they should go
  • Do prep work for the recipes you plan to make in the week (this is called "lumping" or something similar. I read it somewhere that if you lump together your chores that it helps you get them done faster, and you dont feel as stressed/bored with the mundane chores. I like to prep right after I bring things home from the grocery store. Also, it help me actually eat what I ate. Example: if i bring home grapes, before I even put them in the fridge, I wash them and pull them off the vine, then put them in baggies or Tupperware and store them in the fridge. This way, I have a healthy snack/dessert ready to eat!
Other thoughts
  • buy things when on sale, use coupons
  • Go shopping/do prep work on sunday or monday (I'm not sure if this is when the rest of the world shops, but I like it because its a refreshing start to the new week)

2 comments:

  1. my parents have the same phenomenon in their house....tons of food, but nothing to eat! also tons of old leftovers...yuck! lol I can totally relate :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this. I will spend $xxx.xx and still have nothing. How does that happen? My splurge was a commemorative magazine with MJ on the cover. I think it may be nice to look at in 20 years.

    ReplyDelete